Tortilla’s (also known as Spanish omelettes) are one of our family favourites!
The best thing is that you can incorporate any leftovers that you need to use up – simply add any extra leftovers at step 3 of the recipe.
- 8 Eggs
- Cold Boiled Potatoes (sliced) (Ideally a firm potato like Stemster, but other varieties work well too)
- 1 Onion
- Red Pepper
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil (Rape seed oil works well)
- Cheese (I love to grate Cheddar on top but the choice is yours!)
- Dice the onions and add to a pan with a little oil. Fry the onions until they turn golden and go soft.
- Slice the red pepper into small chucks and add to the pan, fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add your sliced potatoes, ensuring they are evenly spread throughout the pan. Add any leftover vegetables you fancy, just make sure your vegetables are thinly sliced.
- Turn the pan to a medium heat. Leave the potatoes and veg to heat through.
- Crack your eggs into a jug and whisk together. Season to taste. (Please note if you add additional vegetables you may need an extra egg or two)
- Pour your eggs into the pan, ensuring the mixture seeps between and under the potato mixture and if possible covers the top with a very thin layer.
- Grate a layer of cheese on top.
- Leave the egg to cook for approximately 6 minutes, use a spatula to gently lift the sides of the Tortilla to ensure its cooked underneath.
- Once happy with the bottom, take your pan and place it under the grill on a high heat for a further 3-5 minutes until the tortilla is fully cooked and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Use a Pizza cutter rather than a knife to cut your Tortilla as it will give you a lovely neat side to each slice.
- Add additional flavour by adding some herbs to your egg mixture or try sprinkling the top with fresh chives!